Thursday, August 26, 2010

2004 Reflections on Photography and Painting

oil on canvas


I was browsing through my files of older work today, and I came upon this painting.
This is from my first painting class in 2004 taught by Paul Mullins at SFstate. It was the year I decided to venture into painting. Previous to that, I had been pursuing my interest and love of photography. It lead me to many new places, and I'll post some older photo work soon. In 2004, I wanted to explore more artistic practices in conjunction with photography, which is when I took up painting. Eventually I would find ways to merge them, rather than treat them as separate practices. I've been reflecting on photography a lot lately, not only in itself entirely, but also examining how I've come to utilize it in painting. I can't say that I adopt one medium to the other, but my approach to both are inseparable. It's officially my second year of MFA candidacy at Mills and I'm excited in the direction I am headed. It's been a while in the making. Now, to buckle up for the ride and hope it's not too bumpy! But, some of those bumps are good, right?